Tips to stay safe
Here are some videos from health authorities to protect yourself from COVID-19.
When and how to use masks
Read the guidelines from WHO on how to wear masks safely. Please note that wearing masks alone will not protect you from COVID-19. The UAE Government prescribes wearing gloves, maintaining a distance of at least 2 metres from others and washing hands frequently for at least 20 seconds.
How to wear a non-medical fabric mask safely
How to wear a medical mask safely
Exemptions from wearing masks in public
During the COVID-19 pandemic, wearing masks in the UAE is mandatory for all in public places, public transportation or commercial centers, when walking outside in high-density public areas and in private transportation. However, on 31 May 2020, Dubai Government issued new guidelines under which certain people under certain situations would be exempted from wearing a mask even in public areas.
Individuals who have been exempted from wearing a face mask
The individuals have been exempted from wearing a face mask in public are:
- children under six years of age
- people of determination - those with cognitive, intellectual or sensory disorders or any impairments that prevent their ability to breathe or communicate, normally
- those for whom masks can lead to sensory triggering (a medical report is needed to confirm the condition)
- the individuals who require supplemental oxygen or have severe respiratory issues or have difficulty breathing with a mask (medical report is needed to confirm the condition).
Conditions under which masks can be removed
Masks can be removed under the following situations:
- when driving alone, or with your family members
- while eating or drinking in indoor and outdoor settings, that is at restaurants
- when engaging in strenuous indoor and outdoor physical exercise
- while being alone in a certain setting, like your office and no one is around
- while undergoing specific treatments such as dental work, eyes, nose and throat examinations, and other treatments related to hair and beauty.
However, physical distancing must be observed at all times.
Note: These guidelines are issued and apply in the emirate of Dubai. Please contact National Emergency Crisis and Disaster Management Authority (NCEMA) to confirm what applies in other emirates.
Updated on 02 Jul 2020