UAE nationality is acquired by virtue of law, citizenship or naturalization as per the provisions set out in the Federal Law No. 17 of 1972 on Nationality and Passports, amended by Federal Law No. 10 of 1975 and Decree Law No. 16 of 2017. Find out more information on acquiring UAE citizenship and how to apply. On the other hand, you can reside in the UAE if you are:
• employed by a company in the UAE
• investing in a business in the UAE
• have property in the UAE
• a dependent sponsored by someone who is employed in the UAE, an investor/business owner in the UAE, a property owner in the UAE. Dependents include children, parents, maids on close relatives.
• university students sponsored by their universities in the UAE
• retired residents – in this case, special conditions apply.
Find more information on UAE residence visa here.