One of the UAE's projects called UAEPedia contributes to achieving this goal. UAEPedia (www.uaepedia.ae) is the online encyclopedia of the UAE. It documents the rich culture, history and heritage of the UAE along with the profiles of the selfless leaders whose vision shaped the country. UAEPedia aims to be the only authentic knowledge repository about the UAE providing information in Arabic; the native language of the land.
UAEPedia is the first collaborative effort for preserving, enriching and spreading awareness about the cultural diversity and identity of the UAE. It is being developed in collaboration with 15 federal government entities. Each entity has assigned one or more 'Knowledge Ambassador' to contribute to UAEPedia by adding new articles and enriching existing ones.
In addition, the Government has passed several laws and launched several policies to protect the environment. The UAE has also joined the world in recognising environmental problems by signing and ratifying environmental agreements.
Read the environmental laws.
Sustainability in environment
Some of the UAE's efforts to bring a sustainable environment as per State of Environment Report 2015 are:
- Establishing 46 Air Quality Monitoring Stations (as of 2013)
- Engaging in the implementation of 14 projects for the purpose of reducing the emissions of greenhouse gas under the umbrella of Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) projects. The prospective total annual reduction of these projects is estimated to be about one million tonnes of carbon dioxide equivalent (CO2Eq).
- Eliminating the consumption of numerous Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), Halons and methyl bromide
- Aiming to completely eliminate the consumption of Hydro-chlorofluorocarbons (HCFCs) by 2040
- Constructing 130 dams and levees with a total storage capacity of about 120 million cubic meters of water as of 2013
- Setting up 33 desalination plants to provide water requirements
- Increasing forest area from 245 thousand hectares in 1990 to approximately 318.36 thousand hectares in 2011.
Read about the services and information under Environment and energy and Infrastructure in the UAE.
Read more about the sustainable development goal 'Sustainable cities and communities'.
Updated on 16 Apr 2020