Online services for senior Emiratis
Who are Senior Emiratis?
Individuals who are 60 years of age or over are seniors.
Under the National Policy for Senior Emiratis, UAE elderly will be referred to as ‘Senior Emiratis’ in recognition of their experience, giving, dedication and sincerity to UAE.
Law on the rights of Senior Emiratis
Federal Law No. 9 of 2019 on the Rights of Senior Emiratis (450 KB PDF in Arabic) defines Senior Emiratis as UAE nationals over the age of 60 and guarantees them the following rights:
- the right to independence and privacy
- the right to protection from violence and abuse
- the right to an enabling environment, housing, education and work
- the right to social care including the provision of elderly community centres and social clubs
- the right to medical care including preventive health services, medical insurance, mobile nursing units and supportive medical devices
- the right of confidentiality of information pertaining to them
- the right to preferential treatment with respect to government transactions, facilities, social aid and medical services.
The law provides punishments which include jail, fines or both to elderly care providers who abuse or neglect their duties towards Senior Emiratis and to elderly care institutions that violate the provisions of the law.
The National Policy for Senior Emiratis
The National Policy for Senior Emiratis is based on an integrated care system to ensure that seniors remain active and have access to government services. Read more on the National Policy for Senior Emiratis.
The UAE has retirement homes for the seniors/elderly. These are also called elderly care centres. They are under the responsibility of Ministry of Community Development. These centres provide primary health care, social, psychological and physical therapy for the Senior Emiratis in a nursing home in Ajman. Register
a senior Emirati or an elderly person in an elderly care centre.
Transport and parking facilities
In Dubai, Emiratis and expatriates above 60 years are entitled to discounts on public transport. Emiratis who are both, above 60 years and disabled, are entitled to park for free in public areas. This way, the UAE aims to provide access to safe, affordable, accessible and sustainable transport systems for all with special attention to the needs of those in vulnerable situations, women, children, persons with disabilities and older persons.
Useful references for Senior Emiratis
References for senior/elderly Emiratis across the UAE:
Updated on 26 Dec 2022