In accordance with Article 6 of the ‘Human Resources Law in the Federal Government’, the UAE recognises the following models of work patterns:
- Full time - Under this system, an employee works only for a single federal entity on a full-time basis, whether at the workplace, remotely or in a hybrid work mode. This arrangement is governed by the terms of the employment contract or any agreement between the federal entity and the employee.
- Part time - Under this system, an employee works for a federal entity for a specific number of working hours or days, whether at the workplace, remotely or in a hybrid work mode. The terms of employment are outlined in the employment contract or any agreement between the federal entity and the employee.
- Temporary work - Under this system, an employee works on a specific assignment and the contract ends upon its completion.
- Flexible work - Under this system, working hours or days may change based on the entity’s volume of work, and economic and operational variables. The employee may work for the employer at variable times according to work conditions and requirements.
Article 9 of the Executive Regulations of the Human Resources Law in the Federal Government outlines the types of work approved in the federal entities, as follows:
- on-site work, at the premises of the entity
- remote work from anywhere in the UAE
- remote work from abroad
- intensive working hours (compressed work week)
- hybrid work.
The benefits and salaries of the employees vary depending on the employment pattern, the type of work contracted, and the mechanisms and benefits of the contract.
The federal entity has the authority to modify the employee’s type of work during the term of the contract, or upon its termination, in line with the interest and requirements of the work, and in accordance with the conditions and rules stipulated in the Executive Regulations and other regulations issued by the Cabinet.
Refer to Articles 13, 14, 15, 16 and 17 in the Executive Regulations of Human Resources Law in the Federal Government, for more information about the employment options.