In April 2020, the UAE Government issued Cabinet Resolution No. 27 for 2020 Regarding Remote Work System in the Federal Government (PDF-365 KB), in which it was decided to implement the remote work system, on a full time or part time basis, even during ordinary situations.
The new remote work system will continue alongside the traditional work system, wherein the employees will be executing their work at the entities’ premises.
This resolution applies to current and future Emirati employees who are eligible to work remotely as determined by the federal entities, in coordination with Federal Authority for Government Human Resources (FAHR) and in accordance with the human resources procedures and electronic systems approved by the Federal Government.
The resolution mentions a set of criteria that ministries and federal entities must observe to determine if a job can be done remotely. Jobs allowed for remote working must meet the following conditions:
- the job must be of divisible nature
- it can be automated
- its inputs can be handled through electronic systems.
Only those employees would be selected for working remotely who:
- occupy a job that can be performed remotely
- are sincere, abide by quality and accuracy of work and confidentiality of information
- have attained performance expectations, at least up to the last performance appraisal
- have not been subject to any administrative penalties for breach of Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct for civil service.
Contact FAHR for more information about the remote work system in the federal government.