Applicable date for Tax Refund for Tourists Scheme
From 18 November 2018, eligible tourists in the UAE were able to request refunds on the Value Added Tax (VAT) incurred on their purchases while there are in the UAE.
Planet is the exclusive operator of the tax refund system for tourists which Federal Tax Authority executes in the UAE. Read more about VAT refunds for tourists.
Conditions for tourists to claim their VAT refunds
For a tourist to claim VAT refund on purchases he made in the UAE, he must fulfill certain conditions:
- Goods must be purchased from a retailer who is participating in the 'Tax Refund for Tourists Scheme'
- Goods are not excluded from the Refund Scheme of the Federal Tax Authority
- He must have the explicit intention to leave the UAE in 90 days from the date of supply, along with the purchased supplies
- He must export the purchased goods out of the UAE within three months from the date of supply
- The process of purchase and export of goods must be carried out according to the requirements and procedures determined by Federal Tax Authority.
Read how you can shop tax free in the UAE.
Updated on 08 Nov 2020