What is home-schooling and how does it work?
Under the system of home-schooling, the student is not required to attend regular classes. After the student registers, the educational zone in the respective emirate will provide him/her with the books and the required learning materials. The student will self-study at home without attending regular classes.
At the end of the year or at the end of the semester, the student will sit for class exams as set by the Assessment and Examinations Department and the Continuous Learning Department in Ministry of Education. The successful completion of a home-school education in the UAE is equivalent to graduation from any regular public school in the UAE.
According to Ministry of Education, home-schooling system applies to students whose age exceeds the maximum age limit for admission in public schools, as per the age timetable issued by the ministry at the beginning of each academic year.
Home-schooling stream accepts students only from classes 7 to 12. For Grade 7, admission is accepted from the age of 14.
The home-schooling stream is open to all students, males and females, nationals and residents of the UAE who fulfil the above criteria and meet certain other requirements set by the ministry. Some of these requirements include:
- a passing certificate of the student’s last academic year. Certificates for students from outside the country must be certified by Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the country of origin and Ministry of Education in the UAE.
- a copy of the student’s passport
- a copy of the family book (for UAE nationals)
- a copy of the residence visa (for expatriates)
- a copy of the Emirates ID
- 1 photo
- certificate of equivalency for certificates issued outside the UAE
- proof of payment of applicable registration fees.
Ministry support to home-schooling students
The ministry communicates with home-schooling students and responds to all their queries. It provides them with books, courses, examination dates and examination premises. It also assigns supervisors in each emirate to provide services to them in all aspects.
The ministry also provides interested home-schooling students with a ‘To whom to it may concern certificates’, as well as ‘Education continuation certificates’.
For more information, contact the educational zone in your emirate.
Updated on 11 Mar 2021