The UAE Circular Economy Council
In January 2021, under the UAE Circular Economy Policy, the UAE Cabinet approved the establishment of the UAE Circular Economy Council, chaired by Minister of Climate Change and Environment, with members representing federal and local authorities and the private sector. Ministry of Climate Change and the Environment will be responsible for duties as the council’s secretariat-general.
The council aims to:
- ·oversee the drafting of a mechanism to implement the strategy in coordination with relevant authorities
- approve performance indicators related to the strategy’s adoption
- harmonise federal and local strategies within the policy’s requirements
- suggest the general foundations of sectoral plans and project
- encourage the participation of the private sector in projects and initiatives related to the circular economy
- promote partnership between the public and private sectors, and advance scientific research in related areas.
Read related news coverage on WAM.