What is the UAE’s Green visa?
The UAE’s Green visa is a type of residence visa, that allows its holder to sponsor himself/herself for 5 years, eliminating the need of a UAE national or employer to sponsor his/her visa.
Benefits of Green visa
The Green visa provides more benefits to family members, compared to the regular residence visa. Benefits include:
- getting residence permits easily for family members, including spouse, children and first-degree relatives
- the ability to sponsor their male children up to 25 years (previously 18 years), with no age limit for unmarried daughters
- children of determination (those with special needs) are granted a residence permit, regardless of their age
- longer flexible grace periods that reach up to 6 months to stay in the UAE after the residence permit is cancelled or has expired.
The residency of family members will be the same as that of the original residence visa holder.
Who can apply for a Green visa?
The following categories can apply for a Green visa:
1- Freelancers/self-employed people
Freelancers and/or self-employed people who wish to apply for a Green visa need to submit:
- a freelance/self-employment permit from Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation
- proof of a bachelor’s degree or specialised diploma
- evidence of annual income from self-employment for the previous two years for an amount not less than AED 360,000, or prove financial solvency throughout their stay in the UAE.
2- Skilled employees
To apply for a Green visa, skilled employees must :
- have a valid employment contract
- be classified in the first, second or third occupational level as per Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation
- hold a minimum of bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- have a salary of not less than AED 15,000.
3- Investors or partners
The Green visa for investors is given to investors establishing or participating in commercial activities. It replaces the previous residence visa that was valid for 2 years only. Requirements include:
- approval of the investment and proof of investment (If the investor/partner has more than one licence, the total invested capital will be calculated.)
- approval of the competent local authorities.
Renewing the visa
The visa is renewable for the same term upon its expiry.
Read related news coverage on WAM.
For more information on the Green visa, please contact: