List of holidays
The UAE Cabinet granted equal leaves to the public and private sectors. This decision aims to achieve a balance between the two sectors in the number of official holidays they are entitled to.
Here is a list of public holidays for the years 2021 and 2022 applicable to both public and private sectors.
- Gregorian New Year: 1 January
- Eid Al Fitr: From 29 Ramadan to 3 Shawwal* (4 days)
- Arafah day and Eid Al Adha (Feast of Sacrifice): From 9 to 12 Dhu al Hijjah* (4 days)
- Hijri New Year (Islamic New Year): 1 Muharram - 12 August in 2021 and on 30 July in 2022
- Prophet Mohammed's birthday: 21 October in 2021 and on 8 October in 2022
- Commemoration Day (previously known as Martyr's Day): 1 December (Although the day is observed on 30 November, a public holiday for the same is given on 1 December.)
- National Day: 2 and 3 December (2 days).
*Note: Islamic holidays are determined according to moon sighting.
Spirit of the Union
UAE’s National Day falls on 2 December and marks the UAE's formal nationalisation and the start of the federal unification of the emirates in 1971.
‘Spirit of the Union’ is the official theme of the UAE’s National Day celebrations. It is derived from the vision and leadership of the late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, the Founder President of the UAE. The theme is complemented with a logo that has silhouette of the iconic image of the first congregation of the Founding Fathers of the UAE, on 2 December 1971.
50th Union Day
The 50th UAE National Day Celebrations will mark the country's Golden Jubilee through a floating theatrical experience, highlighting the deep connections between people, nature and technology. Staged in Hatta Dam and surrounded by the Hajar Mountains, the celebration will showcase the UAE's history, present and future through spectacular creative and artistic storytelling. You can watch the celebrations of the 50th Union Day live on 2 December 2021 on the official website of the UAE National Day. The show will be open to the public for nine days starting from 4 to 12 December 2021. Buy tickets to witness the celebrations on site.
Guidelines for celebrating national events and activities amid COVID-19
Seeds of the Union- UAE's 49th National Day
The theme of the UAE’s 49th National Day is ‘Seeds of the Union’. A stunning live show of the same name will be performed in Abu Dhabi. The narrative of the show revolves around the growth of a seed into a flower, mirroring the journey of the UAE in the last 49 years. It will involve a moving sculpture and digital visuals. Watch ‘Seeds of the Union’ live on national television channels.