In May 2018, the UAE issued Federal Law No. 6 of 2018 on Arbitration (PDF in Arabic). The new arbitration law annuls articles 203 to 218 of the UAE Civil Procedures Law No. 11 of 1992 which tackled some provisions of arbitration in UAE.
The new arbitration law contains 61 articles and it applies on:
- any arbitration conducted in the UAE, unless the parties agree that another law should govern the arbitration, provided it is not in conflict with the public order of the state.
- any international commercial arbitration conducted abroad, if the parties chose this law to govern such arbitration.
- any arbitration arising from a dispute in respect of a legal relationship, whether contractual or not, governed by UAE law, unless it is excluded by a special provision.
In addition to Federal Law No. 6 of 2018 on Arbitration, arbitration is also governed by Federal Law No. 11 of 1992 concerning the Civil Procedural Law. The following sections of said code cover the use of arbitration:
- Chapter IV Execution of Foreign judgements- Articles 235 - 238
- Chapter V Execution procedures - Articles 239 - 243
Read the articles of the new Arbitration Law – Al Tamimi and Co. (private website).
Updated on 07 Jul 2021