1Map is the UAE’s national geospatial platform which provides national maps, statistics and information about the country’s key sectors. It leverages latest geospatial technology and artificial intelligence technologies to provide geospatial statistical data. Through 1Map, users can find the UAE’s health facilities, educational facility, hotel establishments, statistics on foreign trade, statistical story maps and several other services.
1Map is an initiative of Federal Competitiveness and Statistics Center to support the development of Geographic Information System (GIS) in the UAE and help decision-makers, researchers and students to get access to detailed statistics and survey outputs on geospatial dashboards. It supports national decision-making and planning through partnership and data integration with relevant partners. It aims to bring transparency by sharing data and enhance public engagement.
Data on geospatial data or Geographic Information System (GIS)
Bayanat, the national data portal publishes data sets on geospatial data or Geographic Information System (GIS). On the page about geo data on Bayanat, you will find datasets on:
- Ajman Geo Map
- Humanitarian aids
- Schools Map
- Dams and Water Structures
- Energy and Water statistical data
- Abu Dhabi GeoSpatial Portal.
In addition, you can request Ministry of Energy and Infrastructure for spatial and descriptive data for developing regions, services, federal buildings, road network, agriculture and housing from the private data of the Northern Emirates.
Spatial Data Infrastructure Program in Abu Dhabi
The Government of Abu Dhabi has launched a Spatial Data Infrastructure Program which aims to facilitate the sharing of geospatial data among government agencies and other stakeholders, and working on raising the GeoMaturity of the emirate of Abu Dhabi. The strategic goals of the program are to develop:
- GeoSmart services – this will help Abu Dhabi government entities to transform their government services into GeoSmart services
- GeoMature Abu Dhabi – this will help the emirate to progress towards GeoMature and catalyse the process to the next Spatial Data Infrastructure (SDI) generation (SDI 3.0)
- Geo innovation – this will help the emirate to promote Geo-Innovation and exploit Public Private Partnership (PPP)
- Effective SDI Node – this will help the emirate to improve effectiveness of Abu Dhabi’s SDI Central Node
- Proper Spatial Data - this will help the emirate to regulate and facilitate the availability of high-quality geospatial data
- Strong Community - this will help the emirate to strengthen SDI Community’s development, engagement and organisation
- Clear Governance - this will help the emirate to enhance the Abu Dhabi-SDI Institutional Framework
- Enhance Outreach - this will help the emirate to enhance the outreach and communication tools to promote Abu Dhabi SDI’s community efforts.
View Abu Dhabi Spatial Data Infrastructure Featured Content.
Sign in to explore the Abu Dhabi Geospatial Map and other maps from Abu Dhabi Spatial Data Infrastructure and enrich them with your own data to create new maps and map layers.
Transportation and route planning
In Abu Dhabi, the Darb website, uses the Geographical Information System (GIS) and helps users to access fast, up-to-date and reliable information on driving directions, car travel maps, bus travel maps (bus routes and bus stops), bus terminals, points of interest (ATMs, petrol stations, hospitals etc.), ferry routes and timings. Darb also provides information on all airports in the UAE, with particular emphasis on details about the airports in the emirate of Abu Dhabi and related facilities such as passenger terminals and parking locations. The Darb application is available on Google Play and App Store.
Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) launched Smart Drive, an on-board route planning and exploration app, which operates without mobile Internet connection. RTA Smart Drive App provides turn-by-turn voice and visual instruction, automatic re-routing and speed limit alerts while displaying points of interest along the drive. Smart Drive is available on Google Play and App Store.
Seniar is the first unified navigation app across the UAE. Residents and tourists can search destinations and various attractions by Makani number, Onwani number, postal code or the name of the destination. The app provides motorists with easy-to-follow, accurate directions to their destinations, cutting down travel time and distance. You can download the app from App Store and Google Play.
In April 2015, Dubai Government launched the Makani (my location) system. Makani is Dubai's smart addressing system. Under this system, each building would be assigned a unique 10-digit number that can be used to search the location through Google and HERE maps. In addition, in 2016, Dubai Government divided the emirate into 14 districts. Each district was given a name for identification.