The National Strategy for Nursing and Midwifery-2026 aims to enhance the scope of the profession through professional organisational policies and practices to:
- ensure the profession’s sustainability and contribution to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals
- ensure the proper planning of nursing and midwifery workforce in terms of recruitment and retention in response to the needs and priorities
- ensure that the nursing personnel exercise their responsibilities in line with their qualifications and experiences to deliver high-quality nursing care services and
- to qualify the nursing and midwives staff to engage in evidence-based research and practices that respond to national health priorities and in the development of professional policies and practices.
The strategy was launched to:
- encourage more citizens to join the profession
- promote public and specialist nursing academic programmes
- raise the quality of nursing care and midwifery services in the country.
key pillars of the strategy
The strategy is based on five pillars. They are:
- governance and leadership
- effective legislation
- a comprehensive labour administration system for the nursing and midwifery professions
- high-quality health and nursing services
- improving the quality and innovation in education and professional development, and scientific research and evidence-based practice.
The strategy includes the following quick-to-implement strategic solutions:
- developing a career progression mechanism in the human resources path
- including the nursing profession in the curricula from the first to twelfth grades to create a new image about the profession in society
- introducing a national accreditation program for excellence in nursing care and midwifery
- investing in building the leadership capacity of nursing cadres including leadership in times of crises and emergencies.
The National Strategy for Nursing and Midwifery was developed by local and international experts to ensure the adoption of best international practices.
The UAE Government also formed the Supreme National Committee for Nursing and Midwifery to oversee the implementation of the strategy under the presidency of the Ministry of Health and Prevention.
While, the UAE Nursing and Midwifery Council was established to regulate the nursing and midwifery professions, promote and advance nursing and midwifery services, and protect and promote the health and safety of the public.