The UAE Cabinet approved the Strategic Plan for the Rights of Children with Disabilities 2017-2021 (PDF, 2.93 MB, Arabic) to be a key reference for decision makers in the sector for children with special needs and enable such children to enjoy a happy and dignified life. The plan covers all children with disabilities (people of determination) from birth to 18 years of age.
Principles of the plan
The plan adopts the following principles in dealing with the issues of children’s disabilities:
- guaranteeing all children with disabilities the right to enjoy all human rights completely and equally
- respecting dignity, independence and freedom of choice of children with disabilities
- accepting children with disabilities as a part of human diversity system
- ·not discriminating and providing equal opportunities to both males and females
- bringing their effective engagement and integration in the society
- respecting the developing abilities of children with disabilities and their right to keep their identity.
Goals of the plan
The plan covers the following four strategic goals:
- approving and unifying comprehensive definitions about children with disabilities according to international standards as well as principles of the UN convention on rights of persons with disabilities and the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child
- including all matters related to children with disabilities in policies, plans and programmes of the UAE
- improving the quality of services provided to children with disabilities
- enabling children with disabilities, their families and related entities to effectively participate in issues related to them and social development in general.
Updated on 16 Jan 2020