In January 2021, the UAE Cabinet approved the Federal Government Public Debt Strategy 2021-2023, in line with its approach post-COVID-19 to improve its financial planning, achieve financial sustainability and create a competitive economy based on knowledge and innovation.
The strategy is a general framework for motivating the national financial and banking sectors, through consolidating the Emirates Investment Authority’s portfolio, establishing a bond market in the local currency and providing financing alternatives.
The strategy also aims to:
- develop and support an efficient financial market
- finance the government’s infrastructure and development projects approved by the Cabinet
- diversify national financial markets
- support the implementation of the fiscal policy of Central Bank of the UAE
- cover financial guarantees issued by the government.
Read related news coverage on WAM.
Updated on 12 Oct 2021