Launched in September 2021, the ‘R&D Governance policy’ encompasses regulations, principles and standards of good practice to achieve and continuously improve the quality of research across all sectors. The policy aims to:
- foster an agile, robust national ecosystem for research and development in the UAE
- define a centralised governance body for R&D and identify the responsibilities of its stakeholders
- develop a mechanism to standardise data and measure the performance and impact of R&D at the national level
- set standards to improve research, elevate the performance of the national R&D activities, enhance ethical and scientific quality, promote good practice and reduce adverse incidents
- promote the UAE’s human intellectual capital
- enhance global competitiveness in the industries of the future
- create pathways towards priority markets.
The policy has two key pillars:
- R&D Governance model
The first pillar establishes a framework for the governance of R&D. It is designed to strengthen the ecosystem of R&D by clarifying the roles and responsibilities of all parties at all levels of governance, in line with globally leading practices.
- Emirates Research and Development Council
The second pillar is the establishment of the Emirates Research and Development Council, as the national body representing the highest level of this governance. The Council will enhance the UAE’s status as a global hub for science and technology and unify all efforts to achieve R&D. The Council is chaired by H. H. Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation.
Updated on 07 Oct 2021