A Guide to Access Government Information
The guide aims to establish the basic principles for accessing the federal government information in order to enhance the public participation and to inform them of the decisions and procedures of the government entities in all matters, policies and operations that affect the society members. The local entities can benefit from this guide as well when establishing the procedures for accessing government information of the respective emirate. The goals of this guide complement the higher goals of the country, Vision 2021 and the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals. Read the Guide to Access Government Information (PDF, 1 MB).
Data protection laws
The UAE has set data protection laws to protect the privacy of individuals through a proper governance for data management.
Dubai Data Publication and Sharing Law
Law No. 26 of 2015 on the Organization of Dubai Data Publication and Sharing also known as Law No. 26 of 2015 Regulating Data Dissemination and Exchange in the Emirate of Dubai assures freedom and access to information as the law aims to:
- enable the fulfilment of the emirate’s vision of turning Dubai into a smart city
- manage Dubai Data in accordance with a clear and specific methodology that is consistent with international best practices
- achieve integration and synergy of the services provided by federal government entities and local government entities
- optimise the use of the data available to data providers
- enhance transparency and establish the rules of governance of data dissemination and exchange
- increase the efficiency of the services provided to customers by federal government entities and local government entities through improved quality, speedy delivery, streamlined procedures, and reduced operating costs
- increase the competitiveness of data providers, and enhance the competitiveness of the
United Arab Emirates at the international level
- support the decision-making process at federal government entities and local government entities, and enable them to develop their policies and implement their strategic plans and initiatives efficiently and effectively
- promote a culture of creativity and contribute to supporting innovative initiatives that may achieve welfare and boost community success factors
- strike a balance between Data dissemination and exchange and data confidentiality and
- provide data to non-government entities with a view to supporting the development and economic plans of the emirate.