According to IMD World Digital Competitiveness Ranking 2019 report, the United Arab Emirates is ranked first in the Arab region and 12th globally, advancing five positions from 2018.
In this year's report, the UAE has achieved the first rank in the Arab region in all three main factors which are: the technology factor, the future readiness factor and the knowledge factor.
Globally, the UAE was ranked:
- 2nd in the technology factor
- 9th in the future readiness factor
- 35th in the knowledge factor.
The report explained that the UAE’s progress was due to an improvement in the training and education sub-factor. It attributed the success also to an improvement in the:
- regulatory framework in starting a business (from 29th rank in 2018 to 15th rank in 2019)
- effectiveness of scientific legislation (from 12th rank in 2018 to 7th rank in 2019)
- positive shift in IT integration (from 14th rank in 2018 to 8th rank in 2019) mainly because of improvement in the delivery models of government services via electronic channels (from 28th rank in 2018 to 21st rank in 2019).
Updated on 11 Jan 2021